|Rōmaji||Eien no Raibaru|
|Air Date||October 10, 2001|
|Ending||Bokura no Bouken|
|← N/A||Episode 2 →|
Hikaru Shindo goes to the shed of his grandfather, Heihachi Shindo, in hopes of finding antiques to sell. He stumbles upon a go board which is possessed by the ancient spirit of Fujiwara-no-Sai a Go Master from an earlier time. Sai ends up accompanying Hikaru and traveling with him, however disappointed when Hikaru refuses to play Go. Eventually, Hikaru agrees to play Go, and his first opponent is Akira Toya, the son of the national champion. With Sai's instructions, Hikaru manages to win the match, much to the surprise of Akira.
Characters in Order of Appearance
Text in bold denotes character's first appearance.
Manga and Anime Differences
- In the manga, the scene with Akari and Hikaru running in the rain towards Hikaru's grandpa house does not occur.
- In the anime, Sai tells Hikaru his name and story before Hikaru goes to school the next day. During that time an ambulance is seen.
- Compared to the manga, the anime censures the scene with Hikaru's vomiting. What's more, the part with Hikaru agreeing to play Go is already in the classroom, whereas in the manga it taken place in the bathroom.
- Sai helping Hikaru during the test is an anime exclusive part. However he helped him in the manga with his homework answering the same questions.
- In the anime, Hikaru doesn't play his grandpa and doesn't take his first lesson before going to the Go Salon.